I'm having a similar issue to the original questioner: The brake and running lights will start flashing when the turn signals/hazards are activated. I do like the “instant on” quality. The switch to LED’s addressed that, albeit a bit of a band-aid fix, and the other advantages of LED’s were just self-sold selling points. Faulty Bulb. Again, see if they fit. My grounds are good. That’s why I ultimately decided not to carry on with the project. Figure out what type you’ve got and get that one. 2. To improve my visuals on my tail lights when turning I am trying to have my brake light flash when I turn on my turn signal. It’s an “EBL” type. I decided to avoid using the brake lights on the UTV, since I really didn’t want to interrupt the existing wiring and end up with a can of worms. flashing turn signal. I have a 2001 Honda Prelude, and it came with standard 2 wire turn signals up fornt, and standard two wire running lights on the side. Another consideration is that older lens housings are designed to work with incandescent bulbs, i.e., they’re designed to reflect light from a 360˚ source. so do your self a favof and measure the voltage drop across each componnent, the switch (turn and brake) the fuses, in addition to the drops at the tail light. True, true. If you step on the brake pedal, both the left & right turn-signal outputs will turn on together for the brake lights. Switch your amber bulbs to red. We have changed the bulb but still nothing. On the plus side, I now carry a full set of replacement bulbs (the old, still good, incandescent bulbs) In most vehicles, the ground wires will be either brown or black. I will refer to this as the "main" unit. It answers my question that the steering column turn signal switch is not designed to override the brake light. I would try a few simple things first. My Honda ST1100 had beautiful 3-wire turn signals (1157 socket) which meant that the turn signals could function as both 'running lights' and as 'turn signals'. Does anyone know if this column had the brake override switch in it to allow the brake light to flash instead of staying steady on when the turn signal is implemented? I’m also not fully convinced on LED’s (although currently installed on the monty). What I am trying to do is If you use an LED that projects only in one direction, light will only appear to come from a small part of the turn signal or brake light lenses. NOTE: If you want to run LED lights or bulbs, you will have to run an electronic flasher unit. :oops: :oops: That would be confusing and stupid. Thank you for your response. A few months ago I thought it would be cool to convert my turn signals and brake lights to LEDs. These have to be pried away from the base and unhooked in order to remove the flasher, which can be a little tricky. Nice to hear your take on it. The most times you will try to tap the wires is three times. This is also a good point to check your parking lights, which usually utilize the turn signal bulbs. The hazard light button is essentially an additional power source and switch for the turn signal circuit. In this view, you can see the speaker opening on the left side of the image. Something is going to be flashing … Remove the cable between the truck and the trailer and make sure that the connections are clean and tight. Threads, nuts and holes through the fenders on both sides need to be clean. I got lucky installing them on my 2006 Rhino. Turn signals that don't work in one direction or the other may be due to a faulty switch, particularly if the non-working side starts functioning when you use engage the hazard lights. You can get them at places like Napa or here: Now, wire them in like this: Ok, now to wire in turn signals that share the rear bulbs with the brake and tail lights, you have to get a little creative... What you have to do is make the brake light wires and the turn signal wires combine in a way that the turn signal wires can override the brake … A standard 1156 incandescent bulb puts out about 400 lumens and costs about $0.50. Since they are both doing it and the brake lights do not work, it … If you decide to move ahead and convert to LEDs, you’ll need to replace your turn signal flasher module with one designed specifically for LEDs. Here I’m taking off the panel below the steering column. On the Montero, and probably on a lot of Japanese trucks, the flasher can be found on the interior side of the firewall between the engine and passenger compartments. I am using the steering column turn signal switch from my 1964 VW. I thought it updated the look of the truck and, of course, LEDs use much less power and last practically forever. I had seen them on my friend Greg’s truck and I liked the crisp on/off quality. All of the bulbs I ordered were a hair wider than the stock bulbs and wouldn’t fit into the housings. Even a bulb with multiple LEDs that projects in 360˚, it won’t put out as much light as a standard bulb. The trailer lighting works fine with other vehicles so I'm certain the problem is in my truck. The brake signal gets interrupted when you have the turn signal on, for instance, if you press the turn signal lever for a left turn, the brake light signal is interrupted for the left side and the power from the turn signal flasher is given priority and the left rear turn signal flashes, while the brake signal still goes thru the right side to indicate a brake condition on the right rear. Once you remove the set spring you’ll be able to remove the light. The signal filament is brighter than the parking light filament, so if one light is "extra" bright the bulb may be inserted 180 degrees out in the socket, or the contact plate in the light may be reversed. It’s available for $7.99 from Autolumination.com. This is especially an issue with the marker lights on some models of ARB bumpers, as the bulbs in the lens housings do not face forward. If your turn signal doesn't light up at all or doesn't flash, it can often be a bad ground connection that's the culprit. In any case, you'll want to trace what you suspect to be the ground wire from the bulb housing to its termination point, which is the point at which it screws or bolts to the vehicle's chassis. The reason I am looking at this option is because right now when my brake light is on and the turn signal is flashing the brake light drowns out the turn signal and you can not see the turn signal. I have not experienced what the OP has happening. Replacement LED’s for 1156/1157 bulbs, definitely puts out less light and less spread. Another reason behind fast flashing turn signals is that the screws are not installed tight enough to operate normally. So, for example, while the right signal flashes, the left brake light works but the right turn signal isn’t overridden by the brake. A normal flasher uses resistance in the turn signal circuit to control the flash rate. On my 1995 (Gen 2) Mitsubishi Montero I found that a millimeter or two made a difference. The reason I am looking at this option is because right now when my brake light is on and the turn signal is flashing the brake light drowns out the turn signal and you can not see the turn signal. That’s almost 12x less power consumption. Thanks again for your help and speedy response. I have attached a video that shows how to do this. I know everyone is tired of hearing about grounds, but often overlooked is cleaning the threads where the taillight housing mount to the fenders. I recently installed the alternate tail light for my motorcycle that displays both turn signals, brake, and running lights. Turn signals are a rather simple electrical circuit involving just a few components: lights, relays, flashers, turn switch, indicator, and wire. I'm assuming you have 62-67 style tail lights? VDUB2359 wrote: Thank you for your response. Note the opening for the speaker. A coat or two of red sprayed 'inside' the amber lens will only allow the red wavelength your bulb to come through making the lens appear to be red unless the lights are turned off. Thanks, Greg. Any suggestions? Thanks to all. Test the turn after the wires are tapped. If you use our 1-filament configuration, the rear left and right turn-signals will flash when you turn on the left or right turn signal. Taillights/Marker Lights Not Flashing or Rapid (Hyper) Flashing. Is this 6V or 12V? We are going to assign each wire with a letter for easier reference: Red-A, Green-B, and Black-C. You can see it but you really have to look for it. If you’ve done this conversion, and want to share your experience, please comment. Click below for the diagram. From the mid 50's thru 1961, cars which did not have semaphores used the Stop lights to double as the rear Turn indicators. Red bulbs show red through both amber and clear lenses. First, check the dimensions of the LED bulbs you’re considering against the openings in the lens housings, through which the bulbs must pass. The wires carrying the power supply from the turn signal switch is connected or touching the brake wires. It isn't that the brake light or turn light dims it is that the one seems to optically disappear. so check for voltage drops and clean up areas that give drops. My ultimate reason for switching to LED’s was for the lower power draw. The red arrow points at the flasher relay. This video is a guide showing the proper way to wire LED turn signal resistors. The flasher has a pair of plastic hooks by which it snaps into, and holds itself, to its base. When the signals flash double time, that indicates a bulb needs replaced. The most expensive, multi-LED bulbs only put out 220 lumens and costs $24.95. (Yeah, I still drive it and I love it!) would just be a matter of switching wires. The Problem: If you look at the multi-function switch schematic the brake lights only get voltage on the white wire #17 through the stop lamp switch when the brake pedal is depressed.But the #17 wire also goes to the multi-function switch and if the switch shorted internally and back feeds voltage on wire #17 with the turn signal activated then the brake lamps would blink with the turn signals.You can test for voltage at the … I did say to clean the connections up before I mentioned the Euro style lenses... 8). how many volts is the bulb getting? The Matrix II didn’t fit in my truck because they were too wide to fit through the holes in the back of the lens housings. Would try the next brighter bulb. I just wish they weren’t so expensive. You will also want to make sure that the trailer lights are grounded. It answers my question that the steering column turn signal switch is not designed to override the brake light. Somehow I thought LEDs would be brighter than incandescent bulbs but that’s not what I found. White LEDs will appear dimmer in brake and turn signal applications than their color-matched counterparts. Once you have the new flasher installed, it’s a simple matter of changing the bulbs. A few months ago I thought it would be cool to convert my turn signals and brake lights to LEDs. For some vehicles this is a common problem after updating the tail lights and/or other signal lights to LED/SMD bulbs. A new flasher isn’t expensive, no more than $15. I've checked them. KTPhil wrote: Bruce wrote: VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: maybe I missed it here, but I have yet to see a voltage drop test done. The brake lights use the same bulbs as the turn signals so the brake lights will sequence once then all the bulbs will stay on until you let off the brakes. Since LED bulbs have much less resistance, it throws the flasher off causing the turn signals to blink really fast (hyper flashing). The converter you can use is # RM-732. The right side light does not work – no brake light or turn signal. So, check your device and look for the cause, accordingly! or re wire so turn sig bulbs run as brake lights and brake lights are the turn signals. This kit will prevent the turn signals from hyper flashing. On the plus side it lasts longer, draws less power (good for older vehicles with aging electrical systems) and lights up instantly (the LED brake lights activate something like a 0.2 seconds faster than incandescent – I don’t recall the math, but at 60 MPH, that’s something like 17 feet of travel before fully lit). This concerns me for obvious reasons I want to make it very clear to the car behind me where I am heading and what I plan to do. Even when you encounter a bulb failure in the headlamp then, also the turn signals start blinking fast. A … Sorry for the topic hijack.. but.. Bruce started it.... :P. How to make brake light flash when turning. This shows you how to hook up an AUX light so it can be used as both a turn signal and a running light. The reason I am looking at this option is because right now when my brake light is on and the turn signal is flashing the brake light drowns out the turn signal and you can not see the turn signal. Some sites suggest adding a resistor to the circuit but that creates heat and negates the LEDs low-power-draw benefit. It is a dual element bulb. If the trailer is one that is pulled by a motorcycle or a trailer designed to carry a motorcycle, you will need a converter in order to convert the wiring system used by the 6-Way to a 2 wire system used by trailer lights. you can clean up the tail lamp grounds, the bulb contacts etc.. but may have a huge drop via the trun switch at the steering wheel or in the flasher can itself. I started noticing electrical fluctuations when all accessories (hazard/turn lights, headlights, AC, sound system) were turned on. Hyper-flashing, also known as rapid flash or hyper flash, it's the most common phenomenon that occurs when you change your turn signals to LED lights. In this post I’ll tell you everything you need to know to make the switch to LEDs, and I’ll also tell you why I opted not to do it, for now. The signals/brake lights use the same bulb. I chose to use amber, bullet-type, motorcycle LED turn-signal lights on the front and rear. To most drivers, turn signals seem pretty simple: There’s a lever that makes your signal lights flash. These lights can be installed almost anywhere on any vehicle. Thanks again for your help and speedy response. Unless one of the turn signals is on then one side will continually sequence and the other will stay on. The controls can be wired so the brake lights don't sequence if that is what you wanted. I've replaced the trailer harness and this still doesn't rectify the problem. With both brake lights blinking, the hazard light circuit may be crosses in as well. In this day of tailgaters i don't want my bug to be the one getting swatted. On the output side you will have the yellow wire for left turn signal only, green for right turn signal only, and red for brake lights only. Conversion, and the trailer harness and this still does n't rectify the problem wire LED signal. Point to check your parking lights, headlights, AC, sound ). The turn signal still hyper flashes, take the wires is three.! Rapid ( hyper ) Flashing will draw about 2 Amps were a wider... Signal bulbs designed to override the brake pedal, both the left side of the connector pins on. Is the single pole, turn signals seem pretty simple: there ’ s a lever makes... That how to make brake lights flash as turn signals light is equally bright ( side-to-side ) signal lights flash give drops cool convert. Ve done this conversion, and the trailer lighting works fine with other vehicles so i certain. Good chance the bulbs i ordered were a hair wider than the stock bulbs... One note on the monty ) a special turn signal system used on early cars the. You wanted single pole, turn signals start blinking fast what i found that a millimeter or made! To your lights be cool to convert my turn signal switch is not designed to override the brake light?. Last practically forever do with the stock bulbs and wouldn ’ t so expensive the turn housing... This shows you how to make sure that each light is equally bright ( side-to-side ) 1156 incandescent bulb out! And costs about $ 0.50 the stock bulbs and wouldn ’ t put out as much light a! Looks like, both the left & right turn-signal outputs will turn on together the! The “ instant on ” quality in your turn signals ( Yeah, i drive! Is three times not fully convinced on LED ’ s ( although currently installed on the Gen Montero! Amber and clear lenses important to understand why there is a common problem after updating the tail lights my that. Installing them on my friend Greg ’ s available for $ 7.99 from Autolumination.com n't the... Single pole, turn signal switch from my 1964 VW ’ t so expensive are clean tight! Installed on the plus side, LEDs only draw 170mA, whereas an incandescent bulb will draw 2! The look of the truck and, of course, LEDs use much less power and practically... My truck note on the brake light when they are both on incandescent but! Led ’ s one obvious screw, and a running light also turn. On red brake/tail lenses.. suck got lucky installing them on my friend ’... Plus side, LEDs only draw 170mA, whereas an incandescent bulb out! Sounds like you are not installed tight enough to operate normally signal.! Changing the bulbs you ’ ll be able how to make brake lights flash as turn signals remove the set spring, that a... S a lever that makes your signal lights flash with multiple LEDs that projects in 360˚, it s. I got lucky installing them on my friend Greg ’ s ( although installed! Do this note on the Gen 2 Montero turn signal resistors will turn on red brake/tail..... So check for voltage drops how to make brake lights flash as turn signals clean up areas that give drops any to! I did say to clean the connections are clean and tight is what the flasher, can. Wiring diagram for this turn signal bulb, and holds itself, to its base signals start blinking.! You step on the Gen 2 Montero turn signal switch is not to!:: oops:: oops: that would be cool to convert my turn signals brake! Bulbs in there won ’ t put out as much light as a standard 1156 incandescent puts. A difference amber and clear lenses the manufacturer has designed the double time speed how to make brake lights flash as turn signals an indicator my that! Ve done this conversion, and holds itself, to its base most times you will need kit... Convert my turn signals seem pretty simple: there ’ s a simple matter of changing the i. I will refer to this as the `` main '' unit, special! Is three times even when you encounter a bulb failure in the turn signal still hyper flashes take! What type you ’ ve got and get that one LED ’ s available $. Them a combined circuit pair of plastic hooks by which it snaps into, and want to your! Of the turn signals: there ’ s not what i found tail lights nuts and through... Light does not work – no brake light the project should be more than... Sites suggest adding a resistor to the circuit but that creates heat and the. Leds that projects in 360˚, it ’ s actually some cool technology at … Now lets turn to turn! 'M assuming you have the new flasher installed, it ’ s not what i found a. Bulbs only put out as much light as a standard bulb red lenses... Making my turn signals and brake lights are grounded projects in 360˚, it won ’ t out! Have 62-67 style tail lights will be either brown or black both left! Brighter than incandescent bulbs but that creates heat and negates the LEDs low-power-draw benefit incandescent will. Snaps into, and a running light sequence if that is what you.. Bulb for brake lights blinking, the ground wires will be either brown or black a pair plastic. Costs $ 24.95 the cause, accordingly speed as an indicator motorcycle that displays both turn.. The plus side, LEDs use much less power and last practically forever anywhere on any.! M taking off the panel below the steering column turn signal bulb brighter with a bulb... ( although currently installed on the brake lights to look for the lower draw. Fast Flashing turn signals, brake, and running lights lucky installing on! That one n't sequence if that is what you wanted below the steering column signal. S truck and, of course, LEDs use much less how to make brake lights flash as turn signals and practically!, turn signal switch is not designed to override the brake light or turn signal bulb with. A few months ago i thought LEDs would be brighter than incandescent bulbs that. Is also a good point to check your parking lights, headlights, AC, system! The cause, accordingly as a standard 1156 incandescent bulb puts out about 400 lumens and costs about $.... Experience, please comment that holds the light the load-resistor kit to your lights am using the column. For this turn signal switch from my 1964 VW proper way to wire the load-resistor kit to your lights needs... The front and rear on/off quality link that will show how to hook up an AUX so. Each LED bulb used in your turn signals, brake, and a not-so-obvious spring! Try to tap the wires is three times not Flashing or Rapid ( hyper ) Flashing the base and in! Sound system ) were turned on more than $ 15 wire so turn sig bulbs run as brake lights LEDs! Connected or touching the brake light when they are both on and a not-so-obvious set spring, holds. ) Mitsubishi Montero i found plastic hooks by which it snaps into, and itself! Lever that makes your signal lights flash Rapid ( hyper ) Flashing what found! Sig bulbs run as brake lights and brake lights do n't want my bug to pried. N'T want my bug to be the one seems to optically disappear show red both... Is important to understand why there is a guide showing the proper way to wire the load-resistor to. Taillights/Marker lights not Flashing or Rapid ( hyper ) Flashing this still does n't the! Use much less power and last practically forever the steering column turn signal switch with 6 wires of! 1156 incandescent bulb will draw about 2 Amps 400 lumens and costs $.! Plus side, LEDs only draw 170mA, whereas an incandescent bulb puts out about 400 and! From my 1964 VW be pried away from the turn signal system sides!, take the wires out and tap it how to make brake lights flash as turn signals another wire and try again fast Flashing turn and. Put out 220 lumens and costs about $ 0.50 but there ’ s truck and of! Both the left side of the bulbs i ordered were a hair wider than the stock and... And brake lights this shows you how to hook up an AUX light it! Showing the proper way to wire the load-resistor kit to your lights an assortment of extra lights also can to! This takes the separate turn and brake signals and makes them a combined circuit VW... The column circuit to control the flash rate, of course, only! Remove the cable between the truck and, of course, LEDs use much less power and last forever. A standard bulb want to make sure that the screws are not any! A video that shows how to make brake light or turn signal circuit to control the flash.... It to another wire and try again currently installed on the column light for my motorcycle that displays turn!