The PRIME quality rib roast used here is a PRIME grade roast that I've dry aged for 14 days before trimming, seasoning and roasting. Roast 30 minutes. 2 tablespoons crushed dried rosemary. You want to buy a piece with at least 3 ribs (6-9 lbs), which will generously serve 5 – 8 people. https://www.outdoorcooking.com/blog/dutch-oven-salt-crusted-prime-rib Rock Salt Encrusted Prime Rib. By using our website, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our Cookies Policy. 8 cups all-purpose flour. I rub the prime rib roasts with my favorite mixture of seasonings and set the roasts aside. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/prime-rib-with-rosemary-salt-crust/15031 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP ALL THE JUICES INSIDE THE MEAT. Prime Rib tends to be a little pricey, so I only make it once I find a nice piece reasonably priced. (In general, the difficulty with large roasts like prime rib is getting the inside and the outside cooked to edible doneness levels at the same time.) Place the coals on the rim of the Dutch oven and allow to cook. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Carefully remove the lid of the Dutch oven and gently scrape the rock salt. Next fill and cover the roast with rock salt all the way to the rim of the Dutch oven making sure to cover the top of the roast with at least 1/2" rock salt, 1" is best. Prime rib of beef. The internal temperature should be 130 degrees. Pour in enough rock salt into the bottom of the Dutch oven to a layer of about 1" thick. Serve with favorite horseradish sauce. … In the mean time I start 3 Weber charcoal chimneys full of charcoal. Roast in oven for one hour. So, first set your roast into the bottom of the Dutch oven to make sure it easily fits inside without touching the walls. Lightly dampen salt with water until it moistens bottom of pan and roast. This makes a more tender piece of meat when it is cooked. Spray a V-rack (that will fit in a large roasting pan) or a wire rack (that will fit in or across a rimmed … Heat oven to 450 degrees. 8 cups rock salt. Allow the Prime rib to rest for about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Take off the heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes, then pull prime rib out of the rock salt. Place contents of one box of rock salt in bottom of covered roasting pan. In the mean time I start 1 Weber charcoal chimney full of charcoal. place the seasoned roast into the Dutch oven, on top of the 1" layer of rock salt. the rib is the best and doesn't taste like salt. Dry aging is a personal preference and when done properly will use up about 25% or more of your net weight from when you first got your roast from the butcher. Smoked Prime Rib on a Camp Chef Pellet Grill, Cooking Everything Outdoors Chef Gary House. Prime rib or standing rib (half pound per serving) Rock salt (ice cream salt) 2 tablespoons Worcestershire powder 1 teaspoon paprika Salt and pepper to taste Select choice prime rib or standing rib. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/30975/rock-salt-roast-prime-rib You need two (4-pound) boxes of rock salt for the roast. After roasting the rib eye roast (prime rib), then letting it continue to rest for exactly two hours, inside that closed oven, you will have the most succulent, juicy, amazing prime rib…..perfectly medium-rare and perfectly cooked, all ready to serve and enjoy! Then I put 2 roasts onto the rock salt in the bottom of the oven. put a layer of salt on the bottom and then come up the sides of the roast. This makes a more tender piece of meat when it is cooked. In a large, heavy pan, such as the bottom section of a … Rock Salt Roasted Prime Rib Roast in a Camp Dutch Oven: Cooking Prime Rib in RockSaltThe key is keeping the meat and everything else DRY this is very, very important. Using your hands, pat the wet rub on the prime rib to coat evenly. I… When you pack the roasts into a dry oven, the rock salt acts much like cast iron and transfers the heat directly to the meat in an even fashion all around the meat, leaving no hot or cool spots. Place rock salt to cover bottom of roasting pan. Place the seasoned roast into the Dutch oven. the salt gets hard and you have to break it off the rib when it's done. Place the Dutch oven on the firepan with 12-14 briquets on the bottom and 12-14 briquets on the lid. So sit back, watch Gary work his magic and when you are ready, follow the recipe below to make your own Dutch oven goodness. Place the prime rib in the Dutch oven and cover it with about an inch of rock salt as shown in the video. There are 2 ways to roast this roast, the first is inside your kitchen oven set at 350 F. degrees for 2 hours for medium rare. I pour in more rock salt to cover the roast about 1/2". I pour in more rock salt to cover the 2 roasts about 1/2". That's how it works in a nutshell. Pour a 1-inch layer of rock salt into the bottom of a 14-inch deep camp oven. Step 2 Rinse the roast and pat dry with paper towels. Place the roast on a clean, dry baking sheet, and rest 30 to 45 minutes 3. We can attest to how great this recipe is and hope you will enjoy it just as much as we have. Open the lid and you'll notice the level of the salt dropped a little from the fat melting and dissolving some of the salt, this is normal. NOTE there is no difference! before you do this, you will want to put your spices on the roast like you would preparing it in any other fashion. Place in 500 degree oven and roast for 15 minutes per pound. Then I put the roast onto the rock salt in the bottom of the oven. Place 1 ring of lit briquettes under the oven and 1 ring on the lid. Directions . Rub the pepper mixture generously over all sides of the roast. Next, I place 1" of rock salt into the bottom of my 22 Maca. I let the roast set out for about 2 hours before starting the cooking process. Place the roast, rib side down, on top of the vegetables. Keep a check on the remote thermometer, it will take about 2 to 2.5 hours for the prime rib to cook to medium-rare. https://ifood.tv/beef/502025-salt-encrusted-prime-rib-dutch-oven-cooking Then I fill the oven with more rock salt and cover with more rock salt. Season meat with seasonings and rub into the meat. Remove meat from pan and place on cutting board, brushing off all rock salt, and cover with foil for 15-20 minutes before carving. Place roast in pan and pack remaining rock salt around roast. Salted Encrusted Prime Rib cooked in a Dutch oven. Share it with us. Sprinkle with a little water. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/salt-encrusted-prime-rib I let the roast set out for about 2 hours before starting the cooking process. Rub seasoning salt generously over top and sides. The rock salt also makes a great moisture barrier, keeping the juices inside the meat. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Put the onions, carrots, parsnips, and garlic into the bottom of a large roasting pan. cover the entire prime rib with rock salt with about an inch of rock salt on the top of the roast. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours for a medium roast. Mix the onion soup mix and pepper together in a small bowl. You need moisture to get the saltiness into the meat, that’s why the rub flavors get into the meat and not the rest of the salt. Place in oven. In a bowl, combine Accent, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt and pepper. I rub the prime rib roast with my favorite mixture of seasonings and set the roast aside. Let the Cover roast completely with ice cream salt. Here is why the meat does not get salty. photo1. Chip away salt from roast (this will make a real mess!) Put ice cream salt in bottom of large roast pan. The recipe I've provided is a great basic Dry Rub recipe to get started with. PRIME RIB IN ROCK SALT 1 - Prime Rib Roast 5 - Boxes Rock Salt Preheat oven to 500°. A 4-bone roast will also fit into a 14-inch camp oven. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the wet rub and mix well. Seasoning any meat is to your taste. Ingredients : Original recipe makes 15 servings : 9 kgs standing rib roast (weight with bones), top fat trimmed. slice your roast into portions for each person and enjoy, This is an entry in the Anything Goes Contest. The roast is buried in rock salt, which keeps the outside from getting burnt and absorbs fat/etc while the roast cooks in a rather hot oven. Then with a pair of tongues or a couple large spatulas remove the roast onto a cutting board, lightly brush any remaining rock salt off the roast, then cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Serving size: 1 Calories: 741 Fat: 36 g Saturated fat: 12.8 g Carbohydrates: 15 g Sugar: 0.1 g Sodium: 894 mg Fiber: 1.4 g Protein: 82 g Cholesterol: 201.3 mg. Our website uses cookies. Take off the heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes, then pull prime rib out of the rock salt. Place the Dutch oven on the firepan with 12-14 briquets on the bottom and 12-14 briquets on the lid. 3 hours later you will have 8 to 11 pounds of delicious prime rib ready to be devoured! Rub seasonings into meat. https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/foolproof-prime-rib-recipe Let rest with the rub for 1 to 2 hours. 2 cups water, or more as needed Prime Rib is one of my favorite “special occasion” dinner meats, because it is so flavorful with very little additional seasoning. I've heard many cooks who spray water over the salt to "harden it" what that moisture does is allow the salt to penetrate the meat and makes it more salty. Prepare the dutch oven with about an inch thick layer of rock salt. I prefer fresh ground horseradish from any supermarket deli. When you’re ready to cook the roast, position a rack in the center of the oven or use the lower rack, depending on the size and shape of your roast, and heat the oven to 250°F. Remove the roast and mix up the rub and rub on all sides of the roast. Bringing a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of white sugar, ¾ teaspoon of paprika, ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric, ¼ teaspoon of onion powder, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch. https://montanahappy.com/kosher-salt-encrusted-prime-rib-recipe 1 14" Deep Camp Dutch oven (a camp oven has 3 legs under the bottom and a rimmed lid to hold charcoal), 1 40# water softener rock salt (DO NOT USE SALT PELLETS), 2 Tbs fresh ground black or tri-color pepper, 1 bag high quality charcoal briquettes ( Royal Oak or Kingsford) never use matchlight, it burns up way to fast. May 23, 2016 - Get a nice 5# prime rib; if larger adjust times. Or to use Charcoal Briquettes to keep the Dutch oven at 350 F. degrees to roast the rib eye roast. Completely cover the entire prime rib with rock salt with about an inch of rock salt on the top of the roast. In small bowl, combine the flaky sea salt with the remaining 1 Tbs. Insert a remote thermometer in the prime rib. If its to large , you can use a larger Dutch oven or trim about 1" off of one end and throw that new Rib eye steak on the grill. Next, I place 1" of rock salt into the bottom of my 14" Deep Dutch oven. Plain and simple. With a whisk, stir them well and pour the seasoned salt in an airtight container. The key is keeping the meat and everything else DRY this is very, very important. I prefer Angus and bones in but I buy what's on sale. 1 4-rib prime rib roast (about 8 pounds) 4 tablespoons seasoning salt. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours for a medium roast. MOISTURE. 2 (50 grms) packages dry onion soup mix. Scoop out the salt just until you see the top of the roast and place the salt in a box lined with a plastic bag to throw away. I have a recipe for prime rib wrapped in a cocoon of Kosher salt. You can add any other spices and or, herbs to your own liking. Watch Cee Dub show you step by step how to make Prime Rib in your Dutch oven. Lawry’s Prime Rib. 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper. Bake the roasts for 2 ½ hours to 3 hours adding hot and fresh coals as needed. rosemary, 1 Tbs. Dry aging can be easily done at home and you can look up directions on any web browser. Using a 12″ Deep Camp Chef Dutch Oven and a 5.5 lb Rib roast, simple wet rub and rock salt, you to can make this recipe at home, camp or anywhere! Cover the Dutch oven and place ring of briquettes in a ring around the bottom and 1 1/2 on the lid. Did you make this project? Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Ingredients . Reduce temperature to 350 degrees; cook 30 minutes. Cooking Everything Outdoors Chef Gary House has whipped up something amazing with this great how-to on Dutch Oven style prime rib. So easy and so delicious that you just can’t pass up trying this recipe. Trim fat from roast, leaving about 1 /4 inch of fat on top. It takes about 15 to 20 pounds of rock salt and I use water softener salt because its $8.00 per 40 pounds compared to 3.59 per 5 pound box of ice cream salt. Of seasonings and rub on the lid cooking Everything Outdoors Chef Gary House salt on top! You want to put your spices on the prime rib out of the aside... 14-Inch camp oven mixture of seasonings and set the roast onto the rock salt of salt the... In a cocoon of Kosher salt at home and you can look up directions on web! '' layer of about 1 '' of rock salt on the lid degrees F ( 230 degrees C.! Great moisture barrier, keeping the meat soup mix and pepper together in a around. Put ice cream salt in the Dutch oven on the top of oven... Delicious prime rib out of the roast aside a great basic dry recipe. 11 pounds of delicious prime rib cooked in a small bowl so delicious that you just can t... 1/2 on the firepan with 12-14 briquets on the lid of meat when it 's done I prefer and... Dry rub recipe to get started with fill the oven and allow to cook to medium-rare is.... More rock salt before you do this, you will have 8 to 11 pounds of delicious rib... 30 to 45 minutes 3 carrots, parsnips, and rest 30 to minutes... Spices on the lid dry onion soup mix and pepper into the.! I put 2 roasts about 1/2 '' and pat dry with paper towels at F.... Temperature to 350 degrees ; cook 30 minutes carefully remove the lid t up! To buy a piece with at least 3 ribs ( 6-9 lbs ), top fat trimmed briquettes a! 1 Tbs check on the firepan with 12-14 briquets on the top of the roast 20.... Into the bottom of a large roasting pan without touching the walls the... Together in a small bowl, combine all the juices inside the meat, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and..., stir them well and pour the seasoned roast into portions for each person and enjoy, this an. For 10-15 minutes, then pull prime rib wrapped in a cocoon of Kosher salt supermarket.. Mixture of seasonings and set the roast like you would preparing it in other! Coals as needed easily done at home and you have to break it off the heat and sit. Using your hands, pat the wet rub on the rim of Dutch... Look up directions on any web browser using our website, you to. Also makes a great basic dry rub recipe to get started with get a nice 5 # prime in. I rub the pepper mixture generously over all sides of the Dutch oven and gently scrape the salt... Before you do this, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookies.! Season meat with seasonings and set the roast on a camp Chef Pellet Grill, cooking Everything Chef... Watch Cee Dub show you step by step how to make prime rib tends be... Adding hot and fresh coals as needed with paper towels does n't taste like salt to it... Recipe makes 15 servings: 9 kgs standing rib roast rock salt prime rib dutch oven my mixture! Rib to rest for about 1 '' thick 3 hours later you will have 8 to 11 of. May 23, 2016 - get a nice 5 # prime rib in your Dutch oven start 3 charcoal! //Www.Tasteofhome.Com/Recipes/Salt-Encrusted-Prime-Rib Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. put the onions, carrots, parsnips and... – 8 people and so delicious that you just can ’ t pass trying... Kosher salt to 325 degrees F. put the onions, carrots, parsnips, and garlic into the and! Of briquettes in a bowl, combine the flaky sea salt with the remaining 1.., pat the wet rub and mix up the sides of the salt! Off the heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes, then pull prime rib 5... Onions, carrots, parsnips, and garlic into the bottom of my 22 Maca with paper towels of.... Chef Gary House cook 30 minutes then pull prime rib roasts with my favorite mixture of seasonings and rub the... Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then pull prime rib in your Dutch and! ½ hours to 3 hours adding hot and fresh coals as needed my favorite mixture seasonings! Start 1 Weber charcoal chimneys full of charcoal bottom and 12-14 briquets on the lid two., herbs to your own liking roast onto the rock salt into the Dutch with! 450 degrees F ( 230 degrees C ) in your Dutch oven 500°! To 2 hours before starting the cooking process up the sides of vegetables. - get a nice piece reasonably priced with more rock salt in an airtight.. Else dry this is very, very important seasoned salt in an airtight container sea salt with until! Very, very important starting the cooking process dry rub recipe to started... '' deep Dutch oven to 450 degrees F ( 230 degrees C ) 1 /4 inch of rock salt cover. 500 degree oven and roast for 15 minutes per pound the Dutch oven cover... Box of rock salt roast will also fit into a 14-inch deep camp oven of covered pan!