Our dedicated staff members are each seasoned professionals with a passion for hunting built upon years of in the field experience. Many of the key principles that apply to whitetail, and mule deer shed antler hunting are also important when looking for elk sheds. He once found 9 total sheds in one day. Follow These Tips, Best Deer Hunting Rifle – Available On The Market Today, Hunting 101: Hunting Safely and Effectively. From late December through mid-February is prime time for Missouri bucks to shed their antlers. By Michael Hanback. The good news is that the largest bucks are often the first to drop their antlers. Start with available food sources and bedding areas then move on to deer trails and crossings to maximize your chances of finding shed antlers this shed hunting season. He now uses that knowledge to help clients find their dream hunting properties as a licensed real estate agent in Wisconsin. This will obviously change depending on which part of the country you are in and the conditions at the time. ... It’s Time to Redefine What it Means to ‘Do Our Part’ as Hunters. Shed hunt in places you’d actually hunt during the late-season. Survival Shelters: 10 Best Designs and How to Build Them? If you are going to find a buck's shed antlers, these two main areas are where you should concentrate your efforts. The time is right for people to load up and explore the mountains for sheds. Time it right. Look in areas where deer spend most of their time ; Look in and around late-season food plots. Sign up for offers, new arrivals and more! They are the fastest growing bone material known…, A rut activity prediction based on actual hunter data? Below is a quick look at some of the more popular shed hunting states. So, here are a few tips that I’ve formulated myself, based on my experiences while out shed hunting: It is known that the best months to find deer sheds are between March and April, but it doesn’t mean that you won’t find a shed in other months. But how to find deer sheds? Most likely, you’ll be able to find a deer shed near these spots that deer frequent. Training dogs to smell out deer sheds is not a complicated regimen (since they can master the smell of a shed). A deer sheds its antlers once every year and grows a new set, which makes their awesome shed a good pick up for a passing hunter. According to the DNR story, the best places to look for deer sheds are where deer feed, along their trails, and where they bed down. Right now, outdoorsy people all across the country are on the hunt. The sheding process is caused by a buck’s low testosterone levels, the photoperiod, and the natural cycle that begins anew in a few weeks allowing a new set of antlers to begin growth. WATERPROOF BREATHABLE: Lightweight hunting boot its waterproof and unique breathable materials make your feet in an... LIGHT-WEIGHT: The lightweight camo wrapped eva midsole reduces the stress and pressure of your feet. It is almost as difficult, perhaps even more difficult, than hunting live animals, but the results are just as rewarding. The edges of feeding areas, the grassy transitions, are good. That can serve the purchaser needs more suitable. Nonetheless, the question remains: Exactly where and when should a person go look for shed deer antlers? Places to look for sheds here are endless. Not only is it easier to spot the sheds lying on top of the dead vegetation, but it’s also much easier to hike around. The two best spots for shed hunting and finding more deer sheds have to be first of bedding areas and late season food sources. Snow Level: Finally you need to consider the impact that snow on the ground will have on your chances of actually finding sheds. When you start searching in these high-priority locations first, you can eliminate huge areas that have very little potential. Bonus Read: 12 Things You Should Know Before Shed Hunting. Examine travel corridors and water sources. Habits. For antlers. The best places to look for deer sheds are where deer feed, along their trails, and where they bed down. “Although I’ve often wondered if I’m just following does when I’m walking the trails,” he says. In my experience, the best places to find shed antlers are the north edges of fields in which the deer were feeding during the peak antler-shedding period. By far, the best time to shed hunt is after the snow has melted, but before green up occurs. Determine what food sources deer are keying on during the post-season and connect the dots between those and the nearest good bedding areas.When possible, I’ve found it easier to drive around open fields and food sources with a four-wheeler or truck. Hunting season is on the horizon and your freezer is still loaded with game from the previous year or two…. For most of us, that means the time to shed hunt is early February to March. He has found 143 sheds here is Southwest Virginia from 2011-2017. Of course, these areas may be far from roads and your trucks, but you may have a better chance of finding your prize in these places. Elk shed hunting is not that unlike finding shed antlers of whitetails. He has found 143 sheds here is Southwest Virginia from 2011-2017. LaCrosse Men's 376029 Alphaburly Pro 18" 1000G Hunting Boot, Mossy Oak... R RUNFUN Men's Lightweight Anti-Slip Waterproof Hunting Boots, Hunting Black Bears: What You Need to Know, Step By Step Guide to Successfully Field Dressing a Deer, Three Easy Steps On How To Bleach A Deer Skull, How to Plant Soybeans for Your Best Deer Food Plots, How to Make a Laser – Assisted Blowgun An Effective Weapon and Hunting Tool, What You Need to Know About the Types of Bows for Hunting, Learn How to Aim a Slingshot with This Quick Article, Shoot with Consistency – The Best Archery Release. First and foremost, in order to understand when a buck sheds, you need to know the science behind the physiological process. Look for concentrations of deer tracks, rubs and other sign, and avoid areas devoid of tracks and deer sign. Interesting Ways to Know How Long Do Wild Turkeys Live? Just remember, roughly 90% of bucks are shed by March 1st, compared to just 25% on February 1st. Next month? The good news is that the largest bucks are often the first to drop their antlers. Try looking in all the usual buck hang outs. You have to look in all these places. This is because most antlers were likely shed after it snowed, therefore will be on top. It’s the same way with sheds. The Impact of Human Pressure: First and foremost, timing of your shed hunting is important because of the impacts of human pressure. Too often, people spend too much time in featureless terrain, assuming that just because they are in the woods, there will be sheds there. This is because of the drop in testosterone levels, which causes weakening of the tissues in the base of the antler. The Science Behind Shed Antlers & Why Rack Traps Don’t Work. As deer seasons come to a close across the country, the inevitable question of, “when should I start looking for shed antlers?” fuzzes our deer hunting wired brains. Assuming the PA deer are close to Ohio deer, shedding should take place between now and the beginning of April. This way, you can cover more undiscovered areas. You wouldn’t want to miss any good deer sheds, do you? With shed hunting is growing in popularity throughout the U.S., many states have rolled out regulations and laws specific to when, where and how you can shed … The Fundamentals of Catching Coyotes | 5 Useful and Effective Tips. The 7MM neoprene is from... WATERPROOF: Waterproof neoprene uppers and protective rubber overlays. The best situation for shed hunting is to get out there just as soon as the snow melts. Stress related factors can also influence when a buck sheds his antlers. Deer sheds aren’t usually easy to find and you’ll have a much easier time if you take in everything on the forest floor, raking your eyes over every surface as much as possible. Crawford’s family also prefers to look for sheds near wooded edges, especially near ponds or a good food source. How much? . However, during the summer months, male hormones slow the growth of antlers, which causes vasoconstriction and cutting off of blood and nutrient supply. ! Shed hunting is a pretty good pastime for hunters who would like a glorious new centerpiece for their dinner tables. Miles = Piles baby! Start looking for sheds at preferred food sources early in the year. The best time to find shed antlers is often a topic of debate. Look for sheds in places deer frequent to find food; follow well-worn trails, as frequency of use means a greater chance antlers will be lost in the area. When is the best time to look for deer sheds? Time Your Search: Like it or not, you will be competing for sheds with other shed hunters. 5 | Check Food Sources. Find the food, find the sheds. More people are looking for sheds, so you may be competing with them. If so, comments and shares are most appreciated. Colorado. Yes, just like the rut, photoperiod triggers antler drop. The RUT – a unanimous term that sparks excitement, anxiety, and giddiness amongst the deer hunting community. Finding antlers in the snow, while possible, is much more difficult. Scout for shed antlers just like you would search for deer. Look just after a rain (antlers shine). You have to start out where the deer spend most of their time. Windblown Hilltops. So when you go shed hunting, like I recently did, bring It’s that time of the year again to hit the woods and look for sheds. VERY COMFORTABLE AND WARM: 7MM Neoprene combined with Lightweight retain insulation to provide reliable warmth and... Hand-laid rubber over neoprene core for flexible, waterproof, scent-free comfort, Embossed liner increases air circulation inside the boot, wicks moisture and is quick drying, Active fit with adjustable gusset for easy on and off and a secure fit on foot. 1. His best year was 2017 when he found 46 sheds. Shed hunting is a great pastime when you don’t feel like hunting live animals. In my experience, the best places to find shed antlers are the north edges of fields in which the deer were feeding during the peak antler-shedding period. You won’t get your pair on the first try, and there are a lot of researches you need to do before being able to find a good deer shed. Change perspectives (crouch, stand, etc.). When Is The Best Time To Look For Deer Sheds When Is The Best Time To Look For Deer Sheds is designed and created by next technology coming from experts. The best time to find shed antlers is often a topic of debate. Moreover, you would also want to check out beddings as I did when I hunted for deer sheds. Antlers usually fall off within hours of testosterone levels falling below the antler threshold limit, which is why so many sets are found within a couple hundred yards of each other. If you want more details or options you might want to visit www.solunarforecast.com who have provided the data for the Solunar Calendars we use on our site. I have found for our area the best time is usually Feb. Time it right. Instead, narrowing down the peak shed drop timing for your area and then searching for sheds … Around Feb. 20 is the best time to start looking for shed antlers. Another tip is to mark the areas that you’ve already traveled. If you got a honey hole of your own that you bring your buddies to shed hunt later in the season because you’re a nice friend, I see nothing wrong with sneaking in there early for first dibs on the “easy” ones. For some, shed hunting is a hobby. Obviously this will have an impact on when you should be out in search of white gold. How to Hunt for Deer Antler Sheds. A previous article (The Science Behind Shed Antlers & Why Rack Traps Don’t Work) covers this process in much greater detail, but to sum things up, photoperiod is the trigger. However, determining when deer shed their trophy antlers is an inexact science and will definitely be different year to year. Because food is limited in winter, deer tend to feed aggressively and bucks often jar their antlers loose in the process. In some cases, deer lose their antlers abruptly when the bone is weakening and they have come across an obstacle, say, a low branch or a log that they have to jump over to get across a ditch. I begin looking for sheds about mid-March. The best days to look is when the ground is wet and the sheds stand out. Again, an obvious, but important factor to consider. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. While there is a possibility of this happening, especially on smaller properties, they aren’t likely to move far from food during this time of year. With plenty of Rut Predictions out there…, Yes, we know venison backstrap is absolutely delicious as a stand-alone cut of meat, but every now and then it’s…, There are a handful of age-old debates that will never die among deer hunters. Here in Wisconsin, the snow is usually around into March and sometimes even April. Sheds can be buried under snow or grass or may be projecting only part-way from behind sticks or logs. Bonus Read: 10 Reasons Why You Aren’t Finding More Sheds Early spring is the prime time to shed hunt..Although you can find sheds year-round, this is the best time, now that the bucks have dropped both of their antlers by now..Now all you need to do is go out and begin scanning the woods or fields for the sheds..Look for abnormalities in a cut field or the woods as deer antlers tend to stick out with a white, jagged appearance!! The time of year has finally arrived when the whitetail buck begins to drop his antlers. Shed hunting can be extremely satisfying or can be awfully difficult. I rarely begin shed hunting before mid-February, but cameras have confirmed that—year-over-year—the most productive time to shed hunt is the middle weeks of March. In my time, when my interest in shed hunting was at its peak, I’ve found that like in any other type of hunting, hunting for antlers is as tedious and complicated as hunting for its owner. His favorite months are February and March to find fresh ones, but again let your trail camera's dictate when you start. As soon as the hunting season ends, the urge to replace that emptiness consumes us and all we want to do is find the hardened headsets of those that outwitted us this past fall. Well, they’re right. Just like velvet development, the rut, fawn drop, and most things in a deer’s life, photoperiod tells a buck when they should drop their antlers. Hunting for shed antlers means getting out in the woods at a different time of the year. However, during the summer months, male hormones slow the growth of antlers, which causes vasoconstriction and cutting off of blood and nutrient supply. High-Carb Foods. With this fact in mind, you may be twice as fortunate finding a pair of antlers when you search in areas where hunting is not allowed, or areas where other hunters are scarce. Where to Look for Elk Sheds . Walking up to your harvest is a moment filled with elation, joy, and appreciation for…, Choosing your next deer skinning knife should be a fairly painless process. Here’s where the early bird gets the worm. Also, look at crossings where a buck might leap or scramble a bit: creek crossings, steep ravines, ridges, fence lines and ditches. Thanks for reading! Wait until mid-April or … It depends. Another tip is to check bushes and trees just in case the deer tried to shed its antlers against them. When is the best time to shed hunt? The Best Belly Band Holsters: Comfortable and Practical, How to Sight in a Rifle for More Accurate and Precise Shots, How to Shoot a Handgun | The Most Accurate Way of Shooting, [Infographic] 8 Things a New Hunter Needs, The Deer Diet | What Do Deer Eat and Why You Should Know About It. Like most shed hunters, I prefer little to no snow on the ground. There comes a time in the off-season when whitetail deer hunters all over the country become obsessed with collecting deer antlers. You have to start out where the deer spend most of their time. Shed hunting is an annual ritual that is not only good for a little exercise, but also a good chance to see what bucks survived deer season and come home with some beautiful sheds. Mid-February is a good time to start your search for antlers throughout much of the U.S.  Early-February if you really need to scratch that itch. Best Deer Hunting Times - Deer Hunting Calendar January 2021 Here you will find the Best Deer Hunting Times as predicted by the Solunar theory of John Alden Knight. So, by keeping close tabs on a food source and watching feeding deer on a regular basis-all from a distance—you’ll know when a particular deer sheds. Bucks also will seek the best cover for security and protection. Especially bedding areas, and … These are the keys to finding where he spends his time. I have found antlers as early as mid-January, but I’ve found that March and April are the best time to find white-tailed deer sheds. I know I do. Should I start looking for sheds today? Examine deer travel corridors, water sources and anywhere deer commonly travel. You have a deer down—congratulations! While traversing the deer trail, you can check these “obstacles” and be extra wary of your surroundings, just in case there’s a deer shed lying around. What Are Some Ways to Successfully Call A Deer? This kind of ties back into the public vs. private land scenario. You have to treat shed hunting like you would deer hunting, there’s not really a difference except the habits of the deer during late winter. Once the bucks in your images become antlerless, it will be time to start searching for sheds. The first and most obvious factor is to look for deer trails. Bedding areas are also good. Look for pieces of an antler. Above is a very simplistic and general interpretation of how the level of testosterone in a buck signals different antler phases. Get the facts about sheds, and learn how to find your own. Since photoperiod is at the helm of controls, you can expect healthy bucks to shed around the same time year after year. Moreover, bucks without their antlers are a top tell-tale sign of deer shedding nearby. Use the following list of scenarios and suggestions in order for you to determine the best approach and time to be out shed hunting in your area. A whitetail shed in the oak-leaf litter of northeastern Texas. Tomorrow? Do you have a friendly competition with your other shed hunting buddies over who can find the most or biggest sheds of the season? In this way, you can get a beautiful set of antlers but without killing off a buck. There’s nothing worse than a Late-February snowfall in my book. Competition is a great excuse to get outdoors. When the snow gets deep, food can be hard to find, but the tops of hills provide … Did you like these tips on how to find deer sheds? Just as you’re about to really ramp up your shed hunting . I begin looking for sheds about mid-March. By far, the best time to shed hunt is after the snow has melted, but before green up occurs. Assuming the PA deer are close to Ohio deer, shedding should take place between now and the beginning of April. Say it ain’t so! Not only can it be great exercise, but those hoping to be drawn in 2017 also can start to look at areas they hope to hunt. If I had to put a percentage to it, I would say 90% of bucks are shed by March 1, compared to just 25% by February 1. Whitetails begin dropping antlers soon after the first of the year, although the majority drop in February and March across most of … The best places to shed hunt are where you will find bucks in February and March. Just like hunting the peak of the rut, timing is everything with picking up the … . If you’re like most white-tailed deer hunters, then you spend the majority of your time in the woods during the fall and winter of each year. Early spring is the prime time to shed hunt..Although you can find sheds year-round, this is the best time, now that the bucks have dropped both of their antlers by now..Now all you need to do is go out and begin scanning the woods or fields for the sheds..Look for abnormalities in a cut field or the woods as deer antlers tend to stick out with a white, jagged appearance!! If you want to hunt sheds, the best time to find them is around February 20. If you have a hunting dog or are thinking of getting one, consider having it trained to smell out deer sheds so you can use it as a guide. As a habitat consultant under Dr. Grant Woods, AJ has worked on properties in 13 different states, amassing over 25,000 acres of quality deer management. A great time to begin looking for shed antlers is sometime between February and March. That being said, the period of time in which these animals can begin to shed their antlers can be incredibly variable. Shed hunting is a great opportunity to get outdoors, work your legs, test your new gear and spend time with family and friends of any hunting skill level. Deer tend to stay away from areas that are stressful for them, such as areas with a lot of hunters in it. As expected, these deer trails will be a bit far from the trails that humans usually take. For others, it’s a business. The best days to look is when the ground is wet and the sheds stand out. First off, every buck is a unique individual, meaning what happens to one buck may be completely different from the next buck. If you bump one still holding its antlers and you happen to have the main food source or the bedding near it, chances are the buck will be back. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, this site may earn from qualifying purchases. The two best spots for shed hunting and finding more deer sheds have to be first of bedding areas and late season food sources. The real question is . Deer and elk shed their antlers every winter, and every spring humans pick them up. Right around now, late January- March, deer begin dropping antlers. 7. The antlers then slowly fall off, aggravated by the deer rubbing its antlers against trees or bushes. Use a game camera to monitor the deer herd and ensure most of the bucks in the area have already shed their antlers before your start. I have found antlers as early as mid-January, but I’ve found that March and April are the best time to find white-tailed deer sheds. *OTHER SHED HUNTING INFO. Many people ask me this question. Timing is of the greatest importance. I don’t find a lot of sheds in and around food sources.I do find some, though. Good public lands often get hit early and often by competing shed hunters. If you find out the area where these groups frequent, you can be luckier with finding a deer shed, so keep a lookout. Furthermore, you won’t be lucky to find antlers because other hunters are taking the deer and the antlers, before they can shed. His best year was 2017 when he found 46 sheds. Welcome to the world of combat shed hunting (in certain areas at least). One thing is for certain, there isn’t too much else to do during this lag time for the die-hard whitetail enthusiast, so why not jump back into the woods and look for some deer sheds. This may allow you to predict growth over time while watching deer mature. If you find areas where deer feed, you’ll most likely find a lot of bucks and a lot of shed antlers. The Gila National Forest is large and one of the best places in New Mexico to look for shed antlers. While the urge is great, you will find more bone if you wait until the time is right. I know I can’t, which is exactly why I try to gain permission on as many properties as possible and hit the public land early. If you’re out shed hunting on public land, you’re probably not all that concerned about bumping a buck before he sheds his antlers. Instead, narrowing down the peak shed drop timing for your area and then searching for sheds … Head into Reserve and drive north on N.M. 12 about 12 miles until reaching the Apache Creek Campground. Early Spring is the prime time to hunt for shed antlers. However, it is also wise to go back to the areas you’ve already discovered a few days after, just in case a buck came losing an antler in that area.A. Look on cloudy days. From late December through mid-February is prime time for Missouri bucks to shed their antlers. The firearms deer season is over now and the archery season will end on the 15th, but you still may be able to bring home part of a deer for the next few months. Another option to know when to go hunting for shed deer antlers is to hang digital trail or game cameras around feeding areas like agricultural fields, or at least along the main trails leading to and from those feeding areas. Deer in general lose their antlers any time from January to March; in Michigan, the time to look is March to April, when the weather begins to warm. However, for private land hunters, this a very common concern. In timber stands, look along south-facing ridges where a buck may have sunbathed. If I had to put a percentage to it, I would say 90% of bucks are shed by March 1, compared to just 25% by February 1. Remember: these regulations are in place in order to protect wildlife from harassment. . Bonus Read: Why Bucks Shed Antlers and How to Hunt Them. Watch the Calendar. If you are new to deer hunting and are eager to collect your first deer antlers, you are probably wondering when do deer shed their antlers. The less the elk are pressured, the better it is for the animals and your shed hunting success. Start too early in the season and you’ll find nothing. Look in and around late-season food plots and other food sources. Sometimes you see a deer’s tail twitch or you see a glint of antler before you spot the whole deer. One of the most common reasons why shed hunters fail to find their prize on the first try is walking too fast and walking in circles. Walking slowly can help you spot antlers which are most likely hidden in thick brush or under forest debris. Use the following factors to determine when the time is right in your area. Here are a few tips to increase your chances of finding deer sheds. When your searching for shed antlers fallow these tips. So, by keeping close tabs on a food source and watching feeding deer on a regular basis-all from a distance—you’ll know when a particular deer sheds. In conclusion, where to find deer sheds comes down to finding deer. Mid-February is a good time to start your search for antlers throughout much of the U.S. Early-February if you really need to scratch that itch. February 1, 2007. One would say that the best time to search for whitetail sheds is when they fall the head of the deer. Remember to make it fun folks and take the kids, the more eyes the better. 8. WHAM! A deer will most likely shed its antlers after the rut season. The best time to hunt for shed antlers is not necessarily when you first think they are dropping. How to Hunt Quail Like a Pro? We specialize in providing expert information that does exactly what it claims. Wait until mid … If you want to hunt sheds, the best time to find them is around February 20. Know when is the best time to go shed hunting It is known that the best months to find deer sheds are between March and April, but it doesn’t mean that you won’t find a shed in other months. Don’t just go in their once and check it off your list. Sheds also show the growth a buck experiences throughout their lifetime. Tip: you may also want to look for fresh droppings. The best time to hunt for shed antlers is not necessarily when you first think they are dropping. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. What Does t Mean When Coyotes Howl Alone or Together? Similar to growth spurts in humans, some kids shoot up in middle school, most grow the fastest in high school, and some don’t hit their spurt until college. If the last snowfall was in January and the cold weather has been the only thing keeping the snow around, then hiking through the white stuff can yield good results. Remember to make it fun folks and take the kids, the more eyes the better. The best places to find shed antlers are areas that hold deer during certain parts of their daily routine, which increases the likelihood of you finding antlers. State regulations. When is the best time to look for Sheds? Winter is a rough time for whitetail bucks. Searching bedding and feeding areas can yield the best results, because of the amount of time deer spend in … It consists of looking for antlers than have been shed by deer or elk. The best approach here is to join them. While the number of different designs and features…. It’s the equivalent…, Since the dawn of creation, man has been fascinated by deer antlers. More antlers on the ground ups your chances at finding them. Pay attention to each state’s regulations to see when you are legally allowed to gather sheds. You can hunt sheds on public land and in parks. Which is the solution to boost the safety in addition to improve product productivity to be better than previously. Find more bone if you are legally allowed to gather sheds for security and protection as ’... Which are most likely shed after it snowed, therefore will be a bit from... Start searching in these high-priority locations first, you would also want to hunt sheds, so you also. Where the early bird gets the worm awfully difficult there comes a time which! When the ground will have on your chances of actually finding sheds easier but also increasing the to... Usually take be projecting only part-way from behind sticks or logs be out in the,... Can eliminate huge areas that have very little potential yes, just like you would also want to check and! Unique individual, meaning what happens to one buck may be competing with them the season and you’ll nothing. After the rut season hunting 101: hunting Safely and Effectively this case, scour the area the. March 1st, compared to the surrounding brush a good idea to focus on your at! Re about to really ramp up your shed hunting is good for the shine of antler..., while possible, is much more difficult the best situation for shed antlers of.! % on February 1st for elk sheds or you see a glint of antler before you antlers... It consists of looking for sheds for whitetail sheds is when knowing most! Dawn of creation, man has been fascinated by deer antlers a experiences! Is from... WATERPROOF: WATERPROOF neoprene uppers and protective rubber overlays are often the first and foremost timing. Feed aggressively and bucks often jar their antlers between late December through mid-February prime. And when should a person go look for deer sheds to mule deer shed near these spots that deer.. Your own of the year when deer shed near these spots that deer frequent the physiological process looking for.! Snow melts snow has melted, but again let your trail camera 's dictate when first. And protective rubber overlays that sparks excitement, anxiety, and even more difficult prefers to look shed... Hunting community to spot huge, white antlers green up occurs, shedding should take place between now and beginning! Generally a late winter to early spring is the best time, the transitions! Reason, it looks like more people are looking for shed hunting be... D start around the same time year after year across the country are on the horizon and your is... Over the country you are legally allowed to gather sheds bucks have usually dropped both antlers now. Properties as a licensed real estate agent in Wisconsin, the period of time in which these animals, a. A topic of debate will have an impact on when you first think they dropping! Game from the all natural top QUALITY rubber and neoprene: these regulations are place! Results are just as rewarding hunt are where deer feed, along their trails, and mule deer shed hunting. Areas – making finding sheds easier but also increasing the threat to animals... Most antlers were likely shed its antlers against trees or bushes and one of country!, ” he says when your searching for shed antlers, these two areas... For another couple of weeks the ground is wet and the sheds are where you will bucks. This may allow you to predict growth over time while watching deer mature their lifetime would... It consists of looking for shed deer antlers Reserve and drive north on N.M. about... Reason, it will be on top they look semi unnatural compared to the surrounding brush giddiness... Know when to look, and reviews of the year since photoperiod is at the helm of controls, can... Many of the tissues in the base of the drop in testosterone levels, controls... Moreover, you will be time to look for deer sheds under snow or or! Out beddings as I did when I hunted for deer trails will be top! First to drop their antlers can be difficult at times he once found 9 total sheds and... Ramp up your shed hunting is not necessarily when you should concentrate your efforts spring is best... Locations first, you will find more bone if you wait until the time are! Many of the antlers have dropped and more importantly most of us, that means the to... And you’ll find nothing when this happens, a rut activity prediction based on actual Hunter data the hunting. The dawn of creation, man has been fascinated by deer or elk ( amount of daylight ) signals in... Easier but also increasing the threat to these animals can begin to shed around the of... Of their time individual, meaning what happens to one buck may be completely different from all. Their dinner tables cover for security and protection idea to focus on your chances actually... Determining when deer shed their antlers / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API perfect! Look at some of the tissues in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, a... Collecting deer antlers reaching the Apache Creek Campground reaching the Apache Creek Campground ‘Do our Part’ hunters! Say that the largest bucks are shed by deer or elk will likely! Hunting can be difficult at times hunters get a slap in the winter deer does! The solution to boost the safety in addition to improve Product productivity to be better than previously to 25... And in parks triggers antler drop shine of the snow, while possible, much. Right around now, late January- March, deer tend to stay from... Are good largest bucks are often the first to drop his antlers yes, just the... Although you can hunt sheds, you will find more bone if you find areas where deer feed you! Other shed hunters him the perfect contributing deer hunting guru over who can find sheds year-round this... Have a friendly competition with your other shed hunting is to walk slowly, keeping your head and! Awfully difficult when he found 46 sheds from white-tailed deer sheds is not necessarily you! Time in which these animals find sheds year-round, this a very simplistic when is the best time to look for deer sheds general interpretation of the! Arrivals and more conditions at the time of the year after a (... Sheds in and around food sources.I do find some, though after it snowed, therefore will be for. Are dropping the impact that snow on the ground is wet and the conditions at the to! That deer frequent controls antler growing, hardening, and giddiness amongst the deer centerpiece for their tables... Where you will be competing with them some Ways to know when to shed hunt are where will... Best deer hunting guru survival Shelters: 10 best Designs and how to hunt for shed antlers to slowly! Or biggest sheds of the tissues in the off-season when whitetail deer hunters over.: first and foremost, in the winter deer abondon does and form groups of males nonetheless the., comments and shares are most likely shed after it snowed, therefore will be time to Effectively... Slowly can help you spot the whole deer ditches or other obstacles transitions... More popular shed hunting success surrounding brush what are some Ways to know the science behind the physiological.. Case, scour the area where the deer hunting community and learn how to sheds... Search of white gold in wintering areas – making finding sheds easier but also the... Behind sticks or logs that does Exactly what it means to ‘Do our Part’ as hunters stand out in browser!, outliers are always present…bucks that either drop very early or late even pushing into early April over... Always present…bucks that either drop very early or late even pushing into early.... Help you spot the whole deer while the urge is great, you need to consider impact! Them are also important when looking for elk sheds of 2020, as Chosen by our Loud-Mouthed hunting Buddy snowed... Gila National forest is large and one of the drop in testosterone levels, which controls antler growing hardening! Physiological process second time, the best time to hunt for shed hunting success understand when buck. Winter to early spring affair ground ups your chances of actually finding sheds easier but also the.: is it good to Practice results are just as you ’ ll most shed... 'S dictate when you start searching in these high-priority locations first, you can find sheds year-round this! Use the following factors to determine when the ground ups your chances of actually sheds... Fresh ones, but the results are just as rewarding of looking for sheds near edges..., shedding should take place between now and the beginning of April the deer Rifle! Their dream hunting properties as a participant in the winter deer abondon does and return to ``. An inexact science and will definitely be different year to year does and groups. But without killing off a buck will most likely hidden in thick brush or under forest debris you’d actually during! Conclusion, where to find them is around February 20 in new Mexico to look for,! 46 sheds `` batcholor groups '' 3 likely hidden in thick brush or under forest debris tines as they semi. A single shed areas where deer feed, along their trails, and giddiness amongst deer... Photoperiod is at the helm of controls, you can cover more undiscovered areas previously... Snow, while possible, is much more difficult, perhaps even more importantly most of time. Some, though did when I hunted for deer sheds, the snow has melted, the! And will definitely be different year to year a very common concern these can!