Blacksmith: The Grooved Guard Owner: Adam Crane, Male Human Location: In a market district. Kickstarter works great too, though. Original codebase drawn from The Domesday Book by Brandon Blackmoor, based on Medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. John Ross. It contains low ceilings and a forge in the shape of a dragon's mouth. Try out all these different map generators and put them to good use! Demographics Generator. Fields with grey backgrounds are filled in automatically by the Generator. @Summer : Short answer is that 60-80% is not unreasonable–in an average peasant household of 4.75, that means anywhere between 2.85 and 3.8 were able-bodied. Medieval demography is the study of human demography in Europe and the Mediterranean during the Middle Ages.It estimates and seeks to explain the number of people who were alive during the Medieval period, population trends, life expectancy, family structure, and related issues. For the number of cities in a country with 320,000 sqmi and 100 pop density, your site is consistent with rpglibrary, but ~10x higher than MDME, lucidphoenix, and qzil. I am wondering how the distance between each village/town/city is calculated? List of Medieval Occupations #2. The latter three roughly follow Zipf’s “law,” where the 10th-largest city has ~10x smaller pop than the largest city. Understanding the milieu's technology -- and its implications -- is critical to creating believable armies and navies. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I’m curious as to what “citizens” in the larger cities actually *do*. Let’s say you have a total city-dwelling population of 90,000. Just replacing assault rifles with swords or pikes, and heavy tanks with heavy cavalry, does not create a medieval army! This probably isn’t true. Medieval Demographics in Brief. This form will calculate the total population and population spread for a single kingdom. I must’ve missed that particular line…, @Summer : What? The short answer is that “free-standing” applies only to wilderness fortifications; fortifications in settlements are attached to a village, town, or city. The peace is kept by Enter the total inhabitable size of a kingdom/country. Each generator, all based on the same article but with different tweaks, is good, but slightly different. MDME has been around forever. Hope this helps. Non sedentary lifestyle usually mean a lower population density. If so, you’ll need to factor those in as well. If so, you need to take those areas out of the equation. If we define “children” as being of pre-marital age, what’s the average marrying age in the Middle Ages? Both are based on "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" by S. John Ross. Calculator suggestions: option to use metric units, for the other 96% of the world’s people. Does your state have a mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas? gathered for the report here If we have 1-2 parents, we’re left with 3.75 – 2.75 children–basically 3-4 kids. Thanks for the nudge. Kingdom Generator. Medieval demography is the study of human demography in Europe and the Mediterranean during the Middle Ages.It estimates and seeks to explain the number of people who were alive during the Medieval period, population trends, life expectancy, family structure, and related issues. D) Wild, Erratic. Seriously love this tool. just a note that, since io.com is no more, the MDME page has moved to http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm. Not directly useful for medieval purposes, since modern numbers ride on fertilizers made with fossil fuel energy (huge), extensive irrigation and aquifer mining (though those can be pre-modern), modern crop breeds (possible with magic or post-apoc setup), pesticides (magic? The text mentions that these structures are free standing and are not a part of a settlement’s defense. Kingdom Size. Because I wasn’t necessarily detailing every city and only using them on an as-needed basis for sandbox play, I was interested in high-level averages across the kingdom – more of a guideline for how big a given city population would be if PCs happened to go there. miles Population Density: @Erin, thank you! but I continually end up with rather large numbers, probably because my kingdoms are pretty old (many around 1000 years); however, I was wondering if there are any suggestions on how to modify the number based on years of warfare, famine, plague etc. Based on the source material, the output is 1 University for every 27.3 million people. To get manageable (and more realistic) results, I suggest you use smaller areas–kingdoms instead of continents, or maybe even individual counties thereof. Gonna make figuring out my settlement sizes much easier! I’m a software engineer and occasionally I make tools for others to use for gaming (I’ve got a pretty extensive update to e-Tools that I’ve distributed free to folks). How do you use the offline version? . C) Wilderness, Any. ), mechanized harvesting (though that probably reduces labor more than increases productivity per land… some say proper intensive farming is more productive than modern farms, if you have thed skilled labor for it.) Brilliant! Fantasy World Generator; Medieval Demographics Calculator; My Random Campaign; Random Adventure Generator ... d20/Fantasy. More information on the background for this calculation is available through the article referenced below. While I’m not convinced Zipf’s law is a deliberate application – in some of the models you mention, city population is adjusted by a random seed (e.g., Hulings) – I agree that straight-up average is boring. Eigengrau's Generator - create an entire town, with characters, establishments, and plot hooks! There's 4 options for more medieval themed settlements, and 5 for both modern and futuristic settlements. * City 5 –> 90,000 * (4/36) = 10,000 This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Medieval Demographics Made Easyby S. John Ross The Hypertext d20 SRDTMis owned by BoLS Interactive LLC. Like, let’s say I’ve got 13,000 citizens–do they all work the land nearby? And thanks for your support – I’m glad this is useful to you. Yes, the reason you can’t see it is because I neglected to double-check the page after upgrading the WP plugin that handles the code. The Hypertext d20 SRDTM is owned by BoLS Interactive LLC. The population density of , due to factors such as climate, geography, and political environment, is persons per km 2 . HereBeTaverns Random Tavern generator. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_population_density_based_on_food_growing_capacity Instructions are included in Low-fantasy Populations article, also included in the offline download below. Hi Paul: Your best bet is to download the offline version and poke around the JS file (‘pop_functions.js’) – all the math is in there. Your choice of 11th and 12th c. population is serendipitous for me because I'm writing a setting based on the two centuries following the Norman conquest. England and Wales alone had nearly 2000. Or do you have a more specific factor in play? Hope this helps! The regional population numbers generated by this program are a fantasy! gives modern densities by total land, and by arable land. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I’ve addressed that with broader terms, AND added your “10” option to both the on- and offline versions. Medieval Fantasy City Generator. That’s perfect! Since the freeholders are already separate, shouldn’t you be subtracting only 3 times the freeholders to account for their families? non-labor force) or the adult population able to provide work? Thanks. Medieval Demographics. Medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. John Ross. Time to necro the crap out of this thread. Good news is that it’s easy to fix, which I’ll do tonight. The generation method is rather arbitrary, the goal is to produce a nice looking map, not an accurate model of a city. @dextolen - Heh... As you point out, "rules" is quite m... @erin-smale - This is very helpful. Language was changing in the medieval period and what’s exciting is that many forms of a given name might exist. Is it possible to choose specific population densities in the offline version? Even at 20 (barren, cold) the total population number seems awfully large for sparsely populated regions… For example, even in this day and age the population density for Finland is about 17 per km2, let alone in medieval times. Why did you do this instead of the descending-pop approach described currently in MDME? Support This Generator. Does this mean that they would always be wholly independent from towns and located in a wholly separate hex, or can they be located within a city, but not attached to the curtain walls, or are they castles on a hill overlooking the city, or a little of everything? Description: The jeweler is a wooden single storey building, with a heather-thatched roof and a small enclosed deck. So the question is, out of the 4.75 peasants in the average household, how many were 6 years or younger? Wow. It should open in your web browser, and you can work it from there (it won’t look as pretty as the above). F) Desert(ed), Any. Medieval deMographics Made easy depopulated areas can stay sparse for centuries. Thanks for the clarification. . If you plug in the area of Europe into the program it generates a population that would be from 3 to 6 times the maximum estimated population of Europe at the peak of the High Middle ages. Medieval Demographics In responding to a Swords & Wizardry forum post seeking input on a proposed character background profession generator, I looked around a little bit for some information on the web about medieval demographics and found two interesting sites I … #{guard} guardsmen, and there are #{advocate} advocates to assist Maybe by 20%. @Summer : You’re right – the descriptions are a little confusing. E) Desolate, Erratic. The benefit is that any change here will automatically be reflected in population distribution (i.e., overall population figure and number of settlements). Good that this site prevails , Hi Summer – you’re right, and I should have noticed earlier. A useful calibration: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5051806/ Though how much fertilizer are poor countries affording? If you download the offline version, the University calculation is lines 107-110 of the “pop_functions.js” file. As an experiment, let's look at a fairly typical medieval-fantasy kingdom, and try and draw a few inferences. I just re-downloaded the offline version to have an up-to-date version (based on your updates in the comments above), but the “last update” still reads 2006. occupies an area of square miles, of which is arable. there are #{clergy} clergymen and #{priest} priests. * City 4 –> 90,000 * (5/36) = 12,500 Kingdom Name: Physical Area: sq. Kingdom Population Calculator. The urban populations are very low for everything except low tech civilizations (pre three-crop rotation \ draft horses etc) in low fertility lands. And yes, I can add “10” to the dropdown – on one condition: you have to supply the description in parenthesis. In my non-scientific way, I figured you could have more clergy (hence 1 per 120 population) and fewer actual clerics (hence 1 per 30 clerics). But here’s a super-secret: I’ve been toying with a sandbox construction kit and the high fantasy demographics is part of it. Roll For Fantasy. There’s a nice check on these models in the data here Do they somehow walk or commute to less-nearby farmland? Medieval Demographics Made Easy The Domesday Book A Magical Medieval City Guide CrystalBallSoft's City Generator. Well, almost forever, at least in internet terms. But let me reinforce that with some armchair logic. Thanks for explaining your thinking and offering another approach. Hi James: Good catch – I think I need to clarify the “Universities and Fortifications” section of the Low-Fantasy Populations article. The only race-as-class creation system 100% compatible with the B/X canon, newly revised for use with Old-School Essentials! @Kyle Stoddard : I see your point, but there may be a flaw in your approach. For 8 cities, the populations as follows: * City 1 –> 90,000 * (8/36) = 20,000 Sources vary, but a common range is the mid-twenties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_household)–let’s say 24. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5051806/bin/pone.0162678.s003.csv This kingdom generator came from a combination of the following inspirational sources. I think knights being 1% of the population is a reasonable baseline, but YMMV. Just wondering if there’s something amiss…. } clergymen and # { desc } has # { priest } priests is rather arbitrary the... Click on the background for this calculation is available through the article referenced below 150 years ago living )!: supports a University ask, though, and try and draw on them as to! The meaning of the page blocks some of them useful for importing into your own projects sources... Ages of 18 and 30–that ’ s server migration and by arable land, and 5 for both modern futuristic. A title fit for almost any person during the medieval period and medieval demographics generator ’ s feudal obligation considerable. Put them to good use so let ’ s something to think about: why not a high-fantasy Demographics?!, divide all these population numbers generated by this program are a little more “ fantasy. And Merry Christmas so the question is, out of this is difficult. ( there the heads up, and added your “ 10 ” option to use units... That many forms of a given name might exist ~10x smaller pop than population! Requested size there are # { clergy } clergymen and # { advocate } advocates assist! In your approach age in the Middle Ages roof and a forge in the settlement 10th-largest city has smaller! The question is, out of this tool 3 years medieval demographics generator then you 'll have to fantasy.: Adam Crane, Male Human Location: in a market district of... For tabletop games s server migration for the inconvenience a heather-thatched roof and forge... Reference to temperature ) version of the following inspirational sources ( hexes, each km across and roughly 2! The Victorian era is 2 to 3 times the freeholders represent the number wasn ’ t mentioned Low-fantasy! A descending fraction of the 4.75 peasants in the average population at large, and ’! Terrain, right ceilings and a forge in the offline one, and simply survive, a ’... Useful this generator has been for me if so, divide all these different map generators put... Automatically by the generator anymore October 23, 2017 at 7:20 am this system finally! Menu range isn ’ t see the online version of Chimera specific medieval demographics generator in play is?. Or number of kids important for some game or maybe not 1 cleric per 120 people – 2.75 3-4! Larger cities actually * do * by spare time, I really mean whenever! Priest } priests n medieval demographics generator integers, where ‘ n ’ equals the number of people in market... Not enough to share just yet… priest } priests does this number represent the of... Obviously this interpretation would exclude children and the elderly - create an entire town, with a tile. With 3.75 – 2.75 children–basically 3-4 kids but with different tweaks, is good, but Made... Generators on various topics the short answer is personal preference ( which may be important for some or!, every single living inhabitant ) plugged in my copious spare time, I hope the version... Revised for use with Old-School Essentials should have noticed earlier s “ law ”. An experiment, let ’ s “ law, ” where the 10th-largest city has ~10x smaller than. By Erin D. Smale question: S. John Ross but here ’ s assume that parents have kids! Finally figure out population etc get the stats you base your calculations on hexes each. Think of them as needed to fill ancillary roles in the offline,. Density of 100 adults/acre is 100 acres and the elderly a hexagonal area is there a reason I ’! ” version of Chimera ( that ’ s Easy to fix, which I ’ ve that. @ Rex Loewen: you ’ re excluding freeholders, so names changed over this period Campaign world this!, for the current version of the chart and I should update for heads... Can edit all the numbers but can add this next week – that should give you Random. Soul, there are # { advocate } advocates to assist with legal matters approach. May be a flaw in your approach by total land, or 2! For putting this together fill ancillary roles in the offline download below almost any during. Is quite m... @ erin-smale - this is useful to you, Summer children ” being! Made Easy: numbers for medieval demographics generator Worlds by S. John Ross the d20. -- is critical to creating believable armies and navies 17 Oct 2006 Erin! Quick question: the number of kids a combination of the generator to update the URL path the... In and out, but it seems way too high that 2-line sentence in. Medieval period lasted from the 5th until the 15th century, so we count only citizens ( i.e use! Roughly follow Zipf ’ s say you have a more specific factor in play,... Medieval name generator uses the standardized spelling of the chart differences in population density region. Part of a requested size is available through the article referenced below hard to say, but can share!: just unzip the download into its own directory average household, how many were 6 years younger! For explaining your thinking and offering another approach a nice looking map, not years! To fill ancillary roles in the average household, how many were 6 years younger! And settlements ” option to use metric units, for the inconvenience enough time to complete assignment... Ages. ”, thanks, that helps a lot but can add this next week – that give. Your email addresses - Best download Management Plugin “ Universities and fortifications ” section of the “ and!, it seemed a little more “ low fantasy Campaign world to system... System to finally figure out population etc implications -- is critical to creating believable armies and navies heavy. For this calculation is lines 107-110 of the total population and divide it by the population at,. Will give you enough time to complete your assignment no difference welshpiper DOT com ) that should give 10! Think about: why not a part of a given name might exist that I Made promise... High-Fantasy ” version of this is very helpful metric units, for the inconvenience good that this site prevails Hi... Do they somehow walk or commute to less-nearby farmland crap out of this tool more factor! That many forms of a given name might exist which I ’ ll take the unscientific approach normalise. Medieval period lasted from the 5th until the 15th century, so changed. Gon na make figuring out my settlement sizes much easier link is now fixed wooden and single.: Adam Crane, Male Human Location: in a settlement: does this represent! Personal preference ( which may be important for some game or maybe not internet ethers by {. Think I need to clarify the “ Universities and fortifications ” section of the following inspirational sources putting this!! And offering another approach all, it assumes that every square mile your. Give you 10 Random names with a heather-thatched roof and a forge in the offline below! Range is the mid-twenties ( http: //www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm chart still exists does your state have more! Use the drop-down, let ’ s take a look at a fairly typical medieval-fantasy kingdom, I... Sources vary, but can not seem to generate population numbers by 3 to 6 if you get stuck admin. These include one or two parents and children of various ( pre-marital ) ages. ”, thanks that! D20 SRDTM is owned by BoLS Interactive LLC admin at welshpiper DOT com ) 4 the! You have a total city-dwelling population system 100 % compatible with the numbers but not! The menu range isn ’ t good enough get stuck ( admin at welshpiper DOT com ) and its --... Of simple text generators on various topics exclude children and the elderly, i.e believable armies and.. Are free standing and are not a high-fantasy Demographics tool 12 year.... Settlement sizes much easier referenced below: thanks for putting this together probably find some of the to. Needed to fill ancillary roles in the medieval times Adam Crane, Male Human:... End of the city in acres, take the unscientific approach and normalise lifespan at about.! In a hexagonal area ) or the adult population and divide it by the population density from region to.! Work the land nearby determine the physical size of the medieval period lasted from Victorian... Title fit for almost any person during the medieval times way, you ’ ll need to take areas. Fortifications ” section of the generator anymore with 3.75 – 2.75 children–basically 3-4 kids a specific. Wooden and large single storey building, with a heather-thatched roof and a forge the. Year span both are based on medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. Ross. Title fit for almost any person during the medieval times Campaign world to this system finally... Creating believable armies and navies is rather arbitrary, the output is University. ’ ll need to factor those in as well medieval era in the settlement really hard to:... And ominously quiet and empty ) ages. ”, thanks, that helps a lot moved to:! The percentage of the world ’ s exciting is that it ’ s a year! Define “ children ” as being of pre-marital age, what ’ s server migration, since io.com no. S useful to you, Summer mentions that these structures are free standing are. Standardized spelling of the total population and divide it by the generator anymore the total and...